What is a cookie?
Cookies are small text files that are automatically placed onto your device via the browser (e.g. Microsoft Internet Explorer, Apple Safari, Google Chrome or Firefox) that you use to access a website that you visit. They are widely used to improve the performance of websites, for saving different options and to provide website owners with information on how their website is being used.
There are broadly four reasons why a cookie might be stored on your device when visiting the Sparkle website:
- Cookies that make the website work properly for you and enable you to make use of the secure online services that we provide
- Cookies that collect data about your use of the website which are then anonymised and used to help us improve our online services
- Cookies that remember your preferences and make the website easier for you to use
- Cookies that are placed by third party services we make use of to enhance the information we present online. We have no control over these third party cookies.
Categories of Cookies We Use
- Strictly Necessary Cookies – These cookies are essential for you to be able to use and move around website or for you to use certain features: e.g. adding items to a shopping basket or remembering items in a shopping basket if you revisit the website.
- Performance Cookies – These cookies collect information about how you as the viewer makes use of the website: e.g. which pages you visit most. These cookies do not collect information that personally identify you as a viewer.
- Targeting cookies i.e. Third Party Cookies and Cookies used for Advertising – These cookies collect information if you decide to share a page from the website or if you use social media sites: e.g. Facebook etc, These may track how you interact with our website which then shows you relevant content elsewhere on the internet. These may also be used to choose the advertisements that are displayed to you on our website and other websites.
Other Third Party Cookies
You may notice some other cookies that are not related to the The Sparkle Foundation’s website whilst visiting https://sparklemalawi.org/. Some of our pages contain embedded content such as You Tube video and Twitter feeds and you may receive cookies delivered from these websites. The Sparkle Foundation does not govern the publication of third-party cookies. To understand more about these third party cookies and their privacy policies, please visit the relevant sites as detailed below.
How do I manage my cookie settings?
The “Help” menu in the toolbar of most web browsers will tell you how to change your browser’s cookie settings, including how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, and how to disable cookies altogether. Below is some helpful guidance about how to make these changes.
Please find below links describing how to do this on some popular browsers.
What will happen if you disable some or all of the cookies that The Sparkle Foundation uses?
- If you opt to delete cookies or prevent us from placing cookies onto your device, some features of our website may not be as effective or work in the intended manner. To delete or review cookies that are on your device, you will need to go into the settings of your browser and review them.
Some third parties may allow you to manage their cookies independently. Please refer to the list of other third party cookies in the table above and their respective policy pages for further information.